Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Haunting of the Tiny Man....

Keeps on haunting us. Will's size that is.

Let me back up to when he was born. He was our smallest baby born at 5 pounds, 10 ounces. I wouldn't say I had a bad pregnancy with him, just unusual. He just about stopped growing in utero 8 weeks before he was born. There was no explaination for it. It may have had to do with my blood clotting disorder, or it may have just been his genetic make-up. Whatever it was, he's always been small, but strong and healthy.

So I'm telling you all of this because the day after Anne's one year check up, we were back in the pedi's office because 1. Libby had an ear infection, and 2. Anne had a reaction to her MMR vax. She had red rashes all over her legs and tummy. Fun, Fun.

Will was with us when we went. When Janette (our pedi) saw Will, she was so surprised that 1. Libby out weighs him by 2.5 pounds and 2. Libby is catching up with him in height. She thought for sure that Will would have made some growth progress over the summer. Wishful thinking.

Will is under the care of an Endo Dr. that I am less than thrilled with. Every test (and yes, there have many numerous tests done since he turned 2. So many that I'm not sure if I can even remember all of them by name at this point) comes back low, or abnormal, but not low enough, or abnormal enough. We have been fighting for a year now to start him on Growth Hormones.

Next Fall, he will start kindergarten. Required for kindergarten is for children to carry a full size backpack. A full sized backpack on Will comes down to...well...right above his ankles.

Over the summer, Dan and I decided to see a new Endo Dr for a second opinion. Then, we decided to hold off and see the first Endo Dr at the beginning of December, see what she says, then go to the new Endo Dr. Janette, after seeing him the other day, wants him to see the new Endo Dr asap.

Great. This can't be good. I wonder how many more tests they will run. I wonder if they'll ask us if we feed him. I hate going to new Dr's. It's the same bullshit every time.

And just so I know we are all on the same page; I am not asking anyone's opinion/advice on Growth Hormones, how to feed a Failure to Thrive child, have we tried this or that. Until you have a child that is just under the 3rd% in height and not even on the charts for weight, I don't want to hear it. You really don't want to go there with me.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I'm sure that's very frustrating and a little worrisome. I'm sure the right doctor is out there and I hope you find him or her quickly.